We all are born with soft, crack-free beautiful feet which are easily taken in for infections, fatigue and injuries. Your feet bear the burden of your weight and are usually the most neglected part of your body. Dry and cracked heels can easily catch infections leading to health hazards. Cooped up in shoes throughout the day, feet are forced to be caged in sweat. With summers already on its peak, it is time to adorn your feet with sandals, allowing your feet to breathe. This also means your heels will be exposed to the naked eye and hence you need to take good care of your feet.
Cracked Heels Causes
Before we get into foot care tips, home remedies etc, it is important to understand the root cause of cracked heels.
- Lack of Moisture
- Poor Fitting Shoes
- Exposing Footwear
- Ageing Skin
Home Remedies for Dry Feet and Cracked Heels
Here is how to treat cracked heels with these home-made foot masks.
Lemon, Salt, Glycerine, Rose Water Foot Mask
To make this mask you need 1tbsp salt, ½ cup lemon juice, 2 tbsp glycerine, 2 tsp rosewater, warm water and pumice stone/foot scrubber.
- Take a basin and add few drops of lemon juice and salt in warm water. Soak your feet for 15 -20 minutes to ease the dirt and germs clogged in the cracks.
- After the clogged dirt eases, scrape the dead skin off the heels and sides of feet. Pat dry with a hand towel.
- Mix 1 tsp glycerine, 1 tsp rosewater and 1 tsp lemon juice separately in a bowl and apply it on cracks. To prevent the paste from smudging around, you can wear socks and leave it overnight.
- Next morning wash it with warm water. You can repeat this process for 4 to 5 times in a week.
Here is another simple tip.
Vegetable Oil Remedy
- All you need is 2 tsp of vegetable oil.
- Wash your feet well with water and soap. Pat it dry and apply a layer of vegetable oil on cracked areas.
- To make it work better, wear a pair of socks and keep it overnight.
- Wash your feet thoroughly with water the next morning.
How to Fix Dry Cracked Heels
Banana & Avocado foot mask
- Blend 1 ripe banana with half avocado.
- Use this paste for filling cracks on your feet and heels.
- Sustain the paste for 15 to 20 minutes and wash with lukewarm water.
Vaseline and Lemon Juice mixture
- Soak your feet in warm water for 15 to 20 minutes. Rinse it well and dry with a hand towel.
- Add few drops of lemon juice to 1 tsp of Vaseline. Apply this to the cracks and rub it well to be completely absorbed.
- Wear a pair of socks afterwards and leave overnight.
This is useful to get rid of dry feet and achy feet. The Vaseline in the mixture moisturizes the skin and feet.