Food choices matter a lot especially when you are diabetes patient. You have to take better care of your diet to keep your diabetes level maintained. Here is a list of best and worst foods for diabetics to make right diet choices.
Best and Worst Foods for Diabetics
Carbs are essential for body. But, you need to make sure it should not be over limit and harmful.
Best Starch Choice
- Whole grains – brown rice, oatmeal, millet
- Baked sweet potato
- Items made with whole grains and no added sugar
Worst Starch Choice
- White bread
- French fries
- Processed grains – white rice or white flour
- Cereals with lots of sugar
Vegetables are great source of nutrients. You need to make the right selection of veggies and do not add salt and fat to them.
Best Vegetable Choices
- Frozen vegetables plain
- Veggies, eaten raw or lightly steamed, roasted, or grilled – Potato and Corn are carbs.
- Carrots or red peppers, onions and eggplants are also recommended. Eat less salt.
- Greens vegetables – kale, spinach, and arugula.
It is recommended having 2.5 cups of veggies per day.
Worst Vegetable Choices
- Veggies cooked with lots of butter, cheese, or oil
- Canned vegetables with added salt
- Pickles consisting lots of salt
You need to make right and healthy choices when it comes to fruits as they give carbohydrates, vitamins, minerals, and fiber. They used to have more carbohydrates than vegetables.
Best Fruit Choices
- Fresh raw fruit
- Plain frozen fruit
- Sugar-free fruit jam
- Without sugar applesauce
Worst Fruit Choices
- Canned fruit with high sugar contents
- Fruit rolls
- Regular jam, jelly, and preserves
- Sugary applesauce
- Fruit punch, fruit drinks, fruit juice, soda drinks
Beef, fish, pork, tofu, chicken, beans, cheese, eggs, seafood, nuts, and turkey are great sources of protein. Here is a high protein diet plan you can follow.
Best Protein Choices
- Beans, nuts, seeds, or tofu – Plant based choices
- Fish, Seafood
- Eggs and low-fat dairy like cheese, paneer etc
Worst Protein Choices
- Fried and high-fat meat
- Pork bacon
- Regular processed cheese
- Poultry with skin
- Deep-fried fish, tofu
- Beans prepared with lard
Dairy Products are good only if you keep them low in fat.
Best Dairy Choices
- 1% or skim milk
- Low-fat yogurt
- Low-fat cottage cheese
Worst Dairy Choices
- Whole milk
- Regular yogurt
- Regular cottage cheese
- Regular ice cream
Fats and Dessert
Best Fats and Dessert Choices
- Natural sources of vegetable fats – nuts, seeds, or avocados in small portions
- Omega-3 fatty acids – salmon, tuna, or mackerel
- Plant-based oils – canola, olive oils
Worst Fats and Dessert Choices
- Foods or Desserts with artificial Trans fat.
- Saturated fats that mainly come from animal products. Also, coconut oil and palm oil.
It is always recommended to consult your doctor for specific oils, fats that you can consume.
Best Drinks Choices
- Water, unflavored or flavored sparkling water
- Unsweetened tea or Lemon sea without sugar
- Non-fruity mixed drinks
- Black coffee without sugar
Worst Drinks Choices
- Regular sodas
- Regular beer, fruity mixed drinks, dessert wines
- Sweetened tea
- Coffee with sugar and cream
- Flavored coffees and chocolate drinks
- Energy drinks
For diabetes patients here is a perfect diet for diabetes and blood sugar control.