Health is the key to our overall body functioning. WHO officially defined health as: “A state of complete physical, mental, and social well-being, not merely the absence of disease or infirmity.”
The food we consume plays an essential role in our overall health. The dietary choices made by us can alter or influence varied types of disease patterns. Vertigo is one common symptom that can occur to anyone-anytime due to various unknown reasons. Sometimes it is due to weakness, prolonged diseases, side effects of certain medicines or even bad dietary choices too. The causes of vertigo varies person to person. A little change or tweaks in diet choices can help vertigo patients in dealing with vertigo. Contrary, wrong dietary changes may raise the concern instead of healing or lessening the condition.
First, we need to understand that Vertigo or Dizziness or Imbalance is not a disease. Vertigo (Chakkar Aana) is just a symptom that can be caused by diseases of the inner ear or the nervous system. It is important to go for the diagnostic tests in order to understand the actual cause of vertigo or dizziness. The vertigo specialists, based on the underlying disease, provide the right treatment. Vertigo treatment involves medicines, rehabilitation therapy and dietary changes.
Imbalance or dizziness is caused by the vestibular disorders which occur from the inner ear. It can also raise visual or hearing disturbances. To manage vertigo conditions, finding the actual cause of vertigo is important. Moreover, when it comes to food to treat or to control vertigo in patients, we need to identify the foods that trigger vertigo and need to be avoided completely.
Here are some food tips for the vertigo patients that can be used after consulting with their vertigo doctors.
Causes of Vertigo
As mentioned above, vertigo is just a symptom. It is a consequence of inner ear problems. It mainly occurs due to inner ear infection, inflammation, weak immunity, excessive pressure on inner ear, etc. Hence, you need to consult with your doctor to cure the root cause.
Foods to Control Vertigo Symptoms
Foods to Avoid
Vertigo patients are advised to avoid below foods:
- Limit your caffeine intake. Coffee, tea, energy drinks, chocolates etc are high in caffeine and it triggers the ringing sensation in the ears of vertigo patients. Caffeine causes cell depolarization which makes the cells easily excitable. Thus, patients with Meniere’s disease and vestibular migraine need to control their caffeine intake.
- Avoid alcohol intake completely. Alcohol badly affects the metabolism and makes the body dehydrated. It triggers severe vertigo attack, nausea, vomiting, migraine etc in a vertigo patient. Alcohol adversely affects the central processing of our brain which hampers the vestibular compensation and affects cognitive functions. This whole condition badly affects the recovery of a vertigo patient. Alcohol may also trigger the migraine attacks.
- Fluids with high sugar or salt content should not be consumed by vertigo patients. It includes drinks like Soda, Cold Drinks etc. High salt and sugar content of these liquids triggers the condition of vertigo.
- Limit your raw salt intake too. Salt affects the fluid balance and pressure in the body. Consuming high salt interferes with our vestibular system’s internal homeostasis. If vertigo patients don’t control their salt intake, they may feel dizzy all the time. Additionally, not just the raw salts, but the products rich in salt contents like chips, cheese, popcorns, pickles, packaged foods etc need to be avoided. In short, you should consume low sodium salt.
- Nicotine Consumption and Smoking are the enemy of vertigo patients. Nicotine constricts the blood vessels. Patients with vestibular problems which occur due to vascular constriction should not smoke and consume nicotine as it makes the condition worse.
- Other foods like processed food, meat, bread, pastries, fried or extreme oily foods, fermented foods etc aggravate the vertigo symptoms.
Foods to Include
Including anti-inflammatory and detoxifying foods in your diet is a win-win solution to not just to control vertigo issues but the overall health boosting way. Vertigo patients should include below foods in their diets:
- Increase your water intake. Stay hydrated and drink warm water.
- Consumption of nuts and dry fruits are good foods to include in the diet. Nuts are vitamin rich and improve blood circulation and reduce the pressure in the ear. Patients suffering from vestibular migraine should avoid consumption of nuts.
- Foods rich in potassium like tomatoes help in flushing out the toxins from the body. Tomatoes are antioxidants rich and are anti-inflammatory food that helps in dealing with vertigo.
- Ginger is a great ingredient to add in your diet. It is a natural immunity booster and helps in dealing with nausea, headache, lightheadedness, vomiting etc. Drinking ginger tea daily is effective in vertigo treatment. Although, patients with diabetes and who are on blood thinning drugs should not consume too much ginger tea.
- Vitamin B, C and Zinc, Magnesium rich foods are good for vertigo conditions. It helps restore nerve damage and improves blood circulation which helps in treating vertigo symptoms.
As already mentioned, before following these tips you need to consult with your doctor as the foods listed above may or may not provide relief to some people. Every person reacts differently to different dietary changes. Though, the above list is considered as the best foods to treat vertigo.